Directions for Cataract Surgery with Dr. Biggs
Preparing for Surgery
You must have a driver the day of surgery that stays with you at the surgery center and drives you home.
You must also have a driver the day after surgery for your 1-day post-op visit with the doctor. No driving for 24 hours after surgery sedation.
2 Days Before Surgery
Start all required drops as directed indicated on drop sheet.
The surgery center will be calling you with your surgery arrival time and instruct you what medications to take the morning of surgery.
NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHt BEFORE SURGERY
Day of Surgery
Use all required surgical drops as directed on your drop sheet.
If you are Diabetic DO NOT take your diabetic pills or insulin the morning of your surgery.
Take a shower and wear comfortable clothing.
Do not smoke the morning of surgery.
Do not apply make-up, lotions, perfume, deodorant or hairspray.
You will go home with a plastic shield taped on the operated eye. Start eye drops as directed on your drop sheet by lifting shield to install drops.
Keep shield on until you see Dr. Biggs at your 1-day post-op visit.
Restrictions for 1 week
- No bending of the head below the waist
- No lifting over 10lbs.
- No eye makeup, soap or water in the operated eye.
- When showering or bathing lean head back to eliminate the excess amount of water near the eye.
- Wear plastic shield at night while sleeping.
- No swimming in pools, lakes or hot tubs for 2 weeks.
- FOLLOW YOUR DROP INSTRUCTION SHEET AS DIRECTED FOR 28 DAYS
Please call office if you have any questions 248-620-3000